Manchester City are set to recall regular first choice goalkeeper Joe Hart to the first team fold for Tuesday’s Champions League home game against AS Roma, The Guardian have reported.
Hart, aged 27 was previously dropped by Manuel Pellegrini in favour of fellow goalkeeper Willy Caballero, who replaced Hart for the League Cup game against Sheffield Wednesday, and Premier League win away at Hull City.
Tuesday’s fixture brings an all together different feel around the Etihad Stadium, as Italian Serie A side Roma visit, for what City boss Manuel Pellegrini has described as a “crucial game.”
The Premier League holders go into the game looking to avenge their previous European tie, as the Citizens succumbed to a last minute Jerome Boateng goal to lose 1-0 away at Bayern Munich at the Allianz Arena.
England’s number one goalkeeper has bounced back from being dropped by the same manager before, with Hart encountering a somewhat similar blip under Pellegrini little under a year ago or so, however Hart then proved his worth towards the back end of the season, helping the Sky Blues to a second League title in three years.
Hart had previously said that he is willing to remain at City to fight for his place in the starting 11 squad, and was quoted as saying in his pre-match conference: “Of course I want to play every game, that is my nature, my professionalism,” said Hart.
“I am not the manager, just a player. I live by the decisions of our manager.”
Questions have been raised regarding Hart’s future, with several other key players at City all earning new long term contracts, but the keeper remains happy at the club, and wants to win more trophies.
“Right now I am happy with what is going on at this club,” said Hart. “We are fighting on all fronts.
“While I am welcome here, I am more than happy to stay and see where that takes me.”
by Ben Reardon