Here, we have analyzed three players each team can and should buy in order to make their teams unstoppable in the Premier League top six of last season.
Note: Chelsea’s transfer ban will see them miss out on signing players and hence they are not included in this list.
- Kalidou Koulibaly: City have a a squad as complete as any. However, their loss of Vincent Kompany after last season is yet to be addressed. While Kompany’s leadership cannot be replaced so fast, his quality on the pitch can certainly be addressed. One of the strongest defenders in Europe right now, Koulibaly of Napoli can be a strong option. His ball playing ability, pace and physical prowess will make him a rock at the back for City.
- Ben Chilwell: City signed Benjamin Mendy two seasons ago. In two years, he has hardly played over 20 games. Constant injuries to the talented left back has left Guardiola turning to his bench and youth to play Zinchenko. He has adapted well but City know that a natural left back in that position will make them ten times better. Who better than Chilwell of Leicester City? He knows the league, has pace and ball control and is young!
- Isco: The Real Madrid man’s future in the club is still under question thanks to a gazillion new signings by Madrid this summer. Should Pogba also join them, Isco will really have a tough time breaking in and could move on, something he has hinted in the past. City would be an ideal destination for a ball playing and creative midfielder like him and most importantly he can be a direct replacement for David Silva who will leave the club next season.
See also: Manchester City players salaries 2019
- Kalidou Koulibaly: Virgil Van DIjk has revolutionized that Liverpool defence. However, their still remains the matter of who will partner him. Matip, Gomez are all good but still have shown vulnerability. Koulibaly would be a brilliant choice to fill that gap and make Liverpool by far the best defensive unit in the world.
- Philippe Coutinho: If ever a midfield needed spark, it would be this one. Yes, Liverpool’s midfield is energetic and industrious. However, it lacks the creativity to break open tight defences who sit back. Adding back Coutinho play in that number 10 behind Salah, Firmino and Mane would terrorize oppositions and let Fabinho and Henderson sit back in peace.
- Paulo Dybala: Liverpool need a fourth attacker. The Salah, Mane, Firmino trinity are dangerous but have no back up. Divock Origi is still developing which means that should one of them dip or get injured, Liverpool have no answer. Imagine having Dybala to shoulder that responsibility, He can play anywhere across the front 3 as well!
- Christian Eriksen: He is a Tottenham man so far but his contract will expire next year. United desperately need quality in that midfield and Eriksens are hard to come by. The Red Devils should prioritize signing him.
- Milinkovic Savic: Nemanja Matic is no longer the player he was. Having Savic will not only replace Matic but get an upgrade on him. Savic can defend in midfield, orchestrate and command the midfield as well. His presence would allow Pogba to run havoc in the final third.
- Mauro Icardi: Why Manchester United never went for him in exchange of Lukaku, we will never know. Yes, he has an attitude problem but that is modern football. Ole should have trusted himself to bring control over Icardi. It would have completed that front three along with Rashford and Martial and United’s front line would have scared people even before kick-off.
- Kalidou Koulibaly: He is once again the answer to the prayers of a side in need of a defender. Perhaps the biggest need for him would be here with Arsenal defence in shatters recently. Luiz is only a stop gap solution. Having him can change the look of the side altogether.
- James Rodriguez: Should Arsenal manage to get rid of Ozil, they should consider bringing in him strongly. Arsenal’s front three of Aubameyang, Lacazette, Pepe has extreme pace and having a creator and passer like James behind will give them infinite edge in attack.
- Daniel Rugani: One centre back for Arsenal is not enough. First of all, more often than not Emery chooses to play three centre backs when all he can count on is the old Sokratis. Hence, it would be wise to add young Rugani as well who will not cost much due to Juve’s lack of attention towards him.
- Paulo Dybala: He would be a brilliant addition to the squad which is flexible and dangerous and full of quality. Imagining a front five of Alli, Kane, Eriksen, Dybala and Son will have defence terrorized and with Ndombele behind them Tottenham could truly be unstoppable.
- Nelson Semedo: Tottenham recently lost their first team right back to Atletico Madrid. A good option to replace him would be Semedo of Barcelona. The full back is full of energy and speed. However, his fast game does not suit Barc leelona’s possession style and hence he rarely starts with Roberto getting the nod ahead. At Spurs, Semedo can truly be used at his best.
- Callum Wilson: Pochettino has shown he can wok wonders with English talent. Yes, they have Harry Kane but without Kane, Spurs can be in trouble as was seen towards the end of last season. It would be ideal to have an young goal scoring threat like Wilson as back up who can easily get 20 games a season and improve his overall quality at Spurs.
See also: Tottenham Hotspur players salaries 2019