Spalletti says transfer negotiations will not affect Inter’s on-field displays
Inter Milan boss Luciano Spalletti confirmed that speculations surrounding the future of key players at the club will not have any impact on the team’s on-field performances in the second half of the season.
The Nerazzuris are 3rd in the Serie A standings, five points adrift of 2nd-placed Napoli and they will kick off the second half of their campaign against Sassuolo on Saturday.
Inter haven’t made any signings as of yet in the January transfer window, with new contracts for Milan Skriniar and Mauro Icardi at the top of the club’s agenda in the mid-season trading period.
“There’s absolutely no confusion within our club,” Spalletti told a news conference.
“We’re right in the middle of the transfer window so we accept all of the names and speculation that comes our way, as it always does.
“On social media, those at Inter must be aware that messages are open and are read by everyone.
“In this regard, Ranocchia’s message during the week was wonderful. He demonstrated that he cares for the good of Inter more than himself.”
Spalletti confirmed Radja Nainggolan is being closely monitored ahead of the Sassuolo match as he weighs up whether to hand the midfielder a first start since in almost a month.
The 30-year-old has had a tough time with injuries since his arrival from Roma and he was suspended for disciplinary reasons last month.
“He’s getting back to his best in terms of fitness,” the Inter boss said of Nainggolan.
“For him to make the difference he needs to be at his best physically. He’s sorry that he wasn’t at his best during this recent period, but he’s now returning to what we all expect him to be and he’ll demonstrate this from now until the end of the season.”