Home Premier League Arsenal PREMIER LEAGUE REVIEW: 16 January 2016



Another enthralling day of action in the Premier League saw a total of 26 goals, and plenty of action.

There was a six-goal thriller at Stamford Bridge, and the season’s surprise package drop points but still lead the table.


The lunchtime action came from North London, where Tottenham recovered from a goal down to comfortably see off struggling Sunderland.

Spurs started brightly, and Harry Kane had an effort tipped wide by Black Cats goalkeeper Jordan Pickford. Dele Alli then had an effort deflected over the bar.

In the 40th minute, against the run of play, the visitors took the lead. A fine through ball from Adam Johnson sent Patrick van Aanholt clear, and he finished neatly.

The lead only lasted 91 seconds. Pickford denied Kane again, only for Christian Eriksen to net the rebound, with Lee Cattermole unable to clear on the line.

Jermaine Defoe came close to scoring against his former club early in the second half, the Sunderland striker finding the side netting.

Mousa Dembele then put Spurs in front, turning past Billy Jones and Jack Rodwell before shooting home.

Eriksen then made it 3-1 on 67 minutes, firing home when in acres of space.

Sunderland substitute Jan Kirchoff fouled Danny Rose in the area six minutes later, Kane placing home the spot-kick.



Two promoted sides did battle at the Vitality Stadium, where Bournemouth beat Norwich. It was a very convincing performance from Eddie Howe’s side.

Lewis Grabban was denied a chance to line up against his former team mates after joining Bournemouth in midweek due to injury. Matt Ritchie was also missing.

Benik Afobe and Junior Stanislaus went close for the home side, before Dan Gosling put the Cherries in front on 10 minutes. Marc Pugh crossed for Gosling to head past Declan Rudd in the Canaries’ goal.

Charlie Daniels then went down in the box under a challenge from Russell Martin. The referee, however, waved away appeals for a penalty.

Harry Arter fired over, then released Afobe. He was brought down by Rudd on the edge of the area, but to the home fans’ frustration, only a yellow card was dished out.

Bournemouth continued their dominance in the second half, and were awarded a penalty on 54 minutes, Pugh brought down by Vadis Odjidja-Ofoe. Daniels slotting home the penalty.

Dieumerci Mbokani finally produced an effort for Norwich, but his chip went over the bar.

Afobe completed the scoring on 75 minutes, firing home a cross from Daniels for his first goal for the club.



A six-goal all-action thriller at Stamford Bridge, where EIGHT minutes of stoppage time allowed the Premier League champions to preserve their unbeaten record under Guus Hiddink.

The first half was very tame, but the game burst into life after the break.

A Leighton Baines cross was put into his own net by John Terry to give the visitors the lead.

In the 56th minute, the lead was doubled through Kevin Mirallas, who superbly controlled a Baines cross before shooting home.

Two goals in two minutes, through Diego Costa and Cesc Fabregas pulled Chelsea level.

Everton retook the lead on 89 minutes through Funes Mori, and it looked to be the winner.

But in the eighth minute of stoppage time, Terry fired home a dramatic equaliser from a headed pass by Oscar.



Manchester City flexed their muscles in beating the Eagles of Crystal Palace.

City boss Manuel Pellegrini went with an unusually bold attacking approach, playing Sergio Aguero and Kelechi Iheanacho up front, while David Silva returned to the starting eleven.

But it was a non-regular goalscorer, Fabian Delph, who put them ahead. Delph firing home from thirty yards under Wayne Hennessey.

Up to that moment, Palace had created a few chances for themselves. Damien Delaney drew a smart second-minute save from Joe Hart, before Connor Wickham blazed over the bar.

Palace almost levelled when Hart smacked a clearance against James McArthur, but Delaney fired over. Hart then threw himself to keep out a free-kick from Yohan Cabaye.

Four minutes before the break, Aguero fizzed a 25-yarder past Hennessey, with the aid of the head of Scott Dann.

Aleksandr Kolarov went off with a calf strain, replaced by Gael Clichy.

Kevin De Bruyne then found Aguero to make it 3-0, his 13th goal of the season.

Aguero then teed up Silva for number four to seal the win.



Newcastle built on their midweek 3-3 draw with Manchester United, gaining a valuable win over in-form West Ham. The win enabled them to leap out of the relegation zone.

The home side took the lead on six minutes through Ayoze Perez. Jonjo Shelvey made an incisive pass to Giorginio Wijnaldum, he found Perez who curled home from twenty yards.

Nine minutes later, the lead was doubled. Shelvey with another exquisite pass,this time a 60-yard beauty to Daryl Janmaat. He crossed for Wijnaldum to net his ninth of the season, all at home.

The home side had their tails up, Aleksandar Mitrovic denied smartly by Hammers keeper Adrian, before Paul Dummett’s effort was blocked by James Collins.

West Ham finally mustered an effort just before half-time. Michail Antonio fired wide.

Nikica Jelavic pulled a goal back for the visitors on 49 minutes, intercepting from Chancel Mbemba to net his first Premier League goal of the season.

Shelvey ran the show most of the game, and he was unlucky with a couple of efforts.

Defeat was a first in nine league games for West Ham.



James Ward-Prowse trebled his Saints goal tally to help give the Saints back-to-back league wins for the first time since November.

He had only scored one in 92 league games, but found the net twice here.

In front of watching new signing Charlie Austin, signed earlier in the day from QPR, the Saints took the lead on five minutes.

Ward-Prowse curled home a sublime 25-yard free-kick, after Craig Dawson fould Sadio Mane.

Craig Gardner wasted a good chance to equalise, bundling wide from a James McClean cross.

Ward-Prowse doubled Southampton’s lead from the penalty spot on 35 minutes, after Dawson was adjudged to have fouled Matt Targett.

A double change was made by the visitors at the break, Chris Brunt and Salomon Rondon coming on.

Steven Davis set up Dusan Tadic to seal the victory on 72 minutes to complete West Brom’s first defeat in three games, on their manager Tony Pulis’ birthday.



Leicester moved to the top of the table by a point, despite failing to win at their Midlands rivals.

But a bad start to the week has turned out okay for Villa, with a midweek win over Crystal Palace followed by an encouraging display against the high-flying Foxes.

Leicester top-scorer Jamie Vardy had the first chance, heading wide from a Marc Albrighton free-kick.

They took the lead and, as he has been so many times this season, Vardy was key. A long kick from Kasper Schmeichel was latched onto by the England striker. His effort was saved by Mark Bunn, but the rebound fell to Shinji Okazaki, who placed the ball home.

An Aly Cissokho handball in the area five minutes later saw Leicester awarded a penalty. Bunn saved the kick from Riyad Mahrez.

The equaliser came when Rudy Gestede fired past Schmeichel, but there was a case for handball which was not given.

The point saw Leicester go top of the table, but they will lose that to Arsenal should the Gunners win at Stoke City on Sunday.


By Steve Osborne                      @BlizzardSteve75



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here