Luke Shaw has revealed that England manager Roy Hodgson has told him to ignore the comparisons with Ashley Cole as the pair battle for a World Cup place. The Southampton left-back will battle it out with Cole and also Leighton Baines for a place in England’s 23-man World Cup squad.
Shaw made his England debut as a half-time sub for Ashley Cole during the national side’s friendly against Denmark, but he is now focusing on Southampton after helping the club to a 1-0 win over Crystal Palace yesterday. He said:
“I try to ignore that sort of stuff, the media attention, as obviously this stuff is going to happen. I’m going to keep pushing myself and see what happens at the end of the season. I am not thinking about Brazil at all. I’ve still got nine other games left and I will focus on them and see what happens at the end of the season.”
Shaw was one of four Southampton players in Hodgson’s 30-man squad to face Denmark. The other three were previously-capped, Adam Lallana, Rickie Lambert and Jay Rodriguez. That was a record number of call-ups for the Saints, but Shaw believes there could be others called up soon. He believes Nathaniel Clyne, Calum Chambers, Jack Cork and James Ward-Prowse will all gain England caps sooner or later.
Shaw said: “It’s unbelievable. There were four of us in the England squad on Wednesday and I am sure there will be more in the future. The team spirit is great, especially when we are winning. It is very high and it is like a family club.
“Everyone looks after each other, especially the older lads with the likes of me, Calum and Prowsey. They help us a lot at training.”
By Charlie Gregory
Follow me on Twitter