Newcastle United have not yet settled on a buyer as the year of 2018 winds down to a close.
Previously Mike Ashley had expressed his intentions of selling the club off before the January transfer window but talks are still ongoing with interested parties. Ashely was quoted – “I’d like it to be before the January transfer window. Realistic? It’s possible. Realistic is maybe too strong a word. Hopefully, we can carry on the good form – the recent good form – and we can get the deal done.”
The Magpies boss purchased the club in 2007 and has set his price at £300m. The sale of the institution will have to pass the scrutiny of the Premier League board.
Former Newcastle defender, Steve Howey stated that he was made aware of a potential takeover and of Premier League’s position in the transaction.
Speaking to BBC Newcastle’s Total Sport, he said, “I heard from a very good source the other day that something in regards to the takeover, apparently, was a lot further down the line than everybody apparently knows. Apparently, the Premier League have been informed about this, and, apparently, news was supposed to be going to be brought out before the Man United game (on January 2).”
Howey further added, “When I spoke to my source about this when he told me, I said, again, as always, ‘I will believe it when I see it’.”