Southampton’s late £10 million bid was rejected
West Ham have announced the signing of centre back Angelo Ogbonna from Juventus, for an estimated £8.5 million.
The Italy international joins the Hammers on a four year deal, in which time the club will move into the Olympic Stadium, from the 2016/17 season.
He becomes new boss Slaven Bilic‘s fifth summer recruit, after the arrival of midfielders Pedro Obiang, and Dimitri Payet, along with goalkeeper Darren Randolph, and left back Stephen Hendrie.
Ogbonna can play left back if required
It is understood that Southampton put in a £10 million bid for the player, but Juventus turned it down after agreeing to sell to West Ham.
Everton and fellow Serie A side Napoli were also said to be interested.
Ogbonna has been capped 12 times by the full Italy squad, and was an unused member of the Azzurri‘s Euro 2012 campaign, where they reached the final.
The 27 year old made 30 appearances in all competitions last year as Juve won the double, and was an unused sub in their Champions League final defeat to Barcelona.
Speaking to West Ham’s official website on Friday, Ogbonna said:
“I am delighted to have joined the club. I wanted to play in the Premier League and am happy to be in London. My heart told me that the right decision was to play for West Ham United.
“I cannot wait to start working under Mr Bilic and with my new team-mates. I feel ready for this new adventure.”