Cardiff City manager Malky Mackay may go against owner Vincent Tan’s wishes as he looks to strengthen his team in the January transfer window,
The Bluebirds have had an topsy turvy start to Premier League life, after impressive results in their debut season, with notable wins against Manchester City and bitter rivals Swansea City, and deserved points against Manchester United, the Welsh side moved up to 15th after a 1-0 win against West Bromwich Albion on Saturday afternoon.
Cardiff, who are owned by controversial chairman Vincent Tan, who has seemed to take rather audatious decisions after taking over the club, which has included changing Cardiff’s colour’s from Blue to Red, in a move that has angered supporters, in the fact that Tan has mocked the clubs identity and tradition.
And now, chairman Tan, and his CEO Simon Lin have decided that they will not back Mackay financially in the January transfer window, angering Mackay deeply, who wants to build upon the squad even more, having spent millions in the summer window, capturing players such as Peter Odemwingie and Gary Medel.
Mackay was upset in October when his good friend, and the clubs Head of recruitment Iain Moody was replaced by Kazakh 23-year-old Alisher Apsalyamov in October, and Mackay will have little option but to sell if Tan refuses to be swayed on his insistence there will be no budget for the Scot to utilise.
s such, he [Tan] has stated that not a single penny will be made available in January,” said Lim.
In a statement issued by the club, Lim said: “Tan Sri Vincent Tan was extremely upset to read quotes from the manager concerning the possibility of new recruits, before he had been informed whether funds would be made available.
“He believes that doing so unfairly raises supporter expectations, placing unnecessary pressure on the club.
“His view is that due to the funds already committed, including the originally-authorised summer transfer budget of £35m that rose to £50m in total, including add-ons, the manager has been fully supported.
“The overspending of £15m has upset Tan Sri greatly, resulting in the removal of Iain Moody as head of recruitment. As such, he has stated that not a single penny will be made available in January.
Tan and Lim also went onto state in a joint statement…..
“Having been the highest-spending promoted club and the seventh-highest spender in the Premier League last summer, the owner believes that the manager has been given the best possible chance of retaining our Premier League status.”
Mackay stated in his post match interview after Saturday’s win over West Bromwich Albion…..
It would be great if we can bring in three quality additions to the squad,” said Mackay.
“I would look to strengthen all three departments in terms of a defender, a midfielder and an attacking player.”
Mackay, however, praised the club’s board for the backing they gave him during the summer, and that he was awaiting guidance from them as to how much he will have to spend next month.
“I will talk to my chairman (about January) who will then discuss it with the board of directors and our owner and I will take my lead from them,” he said.
“It’s up to them what they want to spend in January.
“I’ve got my lists of players, whether they be permanent targets or loans for various positions. We’ve got to try to strengthen again.”
Makay’s frustration may be of unwelcomed news for Cardiff City supporters, as speculation fuels on that the Scot may resign from his post, following a string of high profile controversial statement’s and decisions made by Tan.
And with West Bromwich Albion on the hunt, Mackay may be tempted to leave South Wales.
By Ben Reardon